Charlotte Owen, Bsc (Hons), Dip MSK Medicine, MCSP, HCPC.
Association of Physiotherapists in Respiratory Care
Pelvic, Obstetric and Gynaecological Physiotherapists
AGILE -Physiotherapists working with older adults
British Geriatric Society
British Lung Foundation Professional
My role as a Physiotherapist
During my 15 years as a Physiotherapist I have gained extensive knowledge and skills in a variety of areas. For the last 8 years I have specialised in acute general medicine and respiratory care. Details of which are below.
Alongside my clinical role, I have had extensive input with members of the multi-disciplinary team to ensure a rounded approach to patient care. I have been responsible for co-leading the physiotherapy medical team. I have also had great input with teaching and management of junior physiotherapist and student.
Recent Courses and Webinars Attended (2020 – 2021)
– Diploma MSK Medicine 2021
– Confidence in the Menopause, Newson Health, Research and Education
– Long COVID Update
– RCGP – Core Skills in MSK Care
– Arthritic Ankles, Foot pain and Feet (webinar)
– POGP Female Urinary Incontinence – Part A and Part B
– Therapy Live Pelvic Health
– Assessing the breathlessness patient
– COVID 19 Respiratory Update
– Menopause Management – Advance your Practice
– MEPS -Pelvic Organ Prolapse Update
– MEPS – Perimenopausal and Menopausal Sexual Health
– Pelvic Organ Prolapse for Physiotherapists
- Management of acutely unwell patients admitted to medical wards, predominantly respiratory and older adults.
- Acute complex rehabilitation of adults (all ages), including those transferred from ITU.
- Acute and Chronic disease management (e.g. COPD, asthma, bronchiectasis, lung cancer, pneumonia) including, airway clearance techniques, shortness of breath management, self management plans, ways to improve function and daily activity.
- Initiation and weaning of acutely unwell patients needing Non-Invasive Ventilation.
- Management of acutely unwell patients with COVID-19
- Birmingham based hospice
- Specialist Surgery – GI / Liver transplant (ward, ITU) Respiratory outpatients
- General Medicine
- Cardiac Surgery – Transplant / mechanical devices including ECMO and VAD’s (ward, ITU, cardiac rehab clinic)
- Trauma ITU (military and civilian patients)
- Respiratory Support Team (ward, clinic and community – specialist management of COPD, Asthma and Bronchiectasis)
3 month rotations
- Outpatients (community and gym)
- Neuro-medicine (Stroke)
- General Respiratory
- Paediatrics (neurology and respiratory)
Do structured exercise classes for inpatients with COPD increase community pulmonary rehabilitation referral and completion rates, T.Avent, R.Colclough, R.Edgar, C.Owen, K.Swindells, S.Gompertz. QEHB. Thorax 2015; 70(Supp3) A114.